...behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest. -John 4:35

Monday, February 9, 2009

Guess who's back??


I am back in sweet Kenya (actually I have been back for a few weeks) with so many updates it seems.
First, I was so grateful to have visited my wonderful family and friends. Even though I spent the better part of my time off indoors due to the below 0 weather that awaited me in Minneapolis. I commend those that live there during the brutal winters. It was so cold that I decided to go sleading down my sister's stairs with my nieces and nephews instead of trying it outside. No joke, I can't stand the cold. Thank God for calling me here to this amazing weather. 70 is considered a cool day. But, enough about the weather. Seeing and being with my family there is far better than any bright and sunny day in Kenya. New Year's was a hoot as my family and I along with friends sang karaoke. A duet to "Total Eclipse of the Heart" with my brother-in-law will forever be carved into my memory- it was fantastic! (and my sister and brother's duet came in a close 2nd as you can see below!).



Not only was I in Minneapolis, but my wonderful friends from "home" aka Nashville, surprised me and flew me down for a few days. I truly am blessed. The tradition of eating Syrian food with my dear friends, the Adams, on New Year's Day was not to be missed and I flew in time just as dinner was being served. It was all so wonderful. I am forever grateful and thankful to those who helped send me there.

Another wonderful gift was seeing my sweet mom. She flew up to Minnesota facing the cold to be with me. I say me, but also to see her grandkids. There really is nothing like family and I am at home whenever I am with them.

My next big stop was on the way back to Kenya when I had a long layover in Paris. The city of love was beckoning me so I decided to spend half of the day sightseeing. It was my first time there and I have to admit, their cold weather and snow was no match for my heart--it was warm all over. I loooved it there!! So beautiful...the museums, the people, Notre Dame...it is endless. I ordered a chocolate banana crepe in French and then ate in while gazing at the Eiffel Tower. I was in heaven. I shall return....one day.


After finally making it home with only 1 day of jetlag (record for me), I was full throttle into work. Seeing the kids again made me quickly realize why I was here. I needed that reminder because after seeing some of the most important people in your life, you can easily start to convince yourself you should move back. But God has me here for a purpose. I realize I am sacrificing some very important things in my life, but His will comes first. And with that, God will give me the grace and peace to keep moving forward even when it seems difficult or lonely.



The following week after my return, I was asked to chaperone 10th graders that would be travelling on their CFS event (cultural field studies). This is an opportunity for the highschoolers to see Kenya and be apart of a different culture for a few days. Along with that, they have to do a service project. Our grade worked with Habitat for Humanity in a village 5 hours west of here called, Bomet. It was an absolutely amazing experience. I can say first hand that I help build a "house" (a very modest one) from the ground up. We didn't complete it, but I have never worked so hard in my life. From mixing cement, to laying the foundation and laying the bricks--it was hard work. The village treated us like rock stars...no joke. They followed us by the droves. They screamed in excitement everyday we came to work. It was such a rewarding experience for myself and for the students. The humble abode we built was for a family and the size of this place would have astonished you. It was a 2 room house, about 3oo sq ft is my estimate. Nonetheless, the owners were so appreciative-it really humbled me. WE, I, can get so caught up in things that are so temporal and then when you see how these people live and the joy they have inside of them, you really are taken back and forced to look at your own life and what you hold value to. These students come from very wealthy backgrounds. In fact, the ex-president of Kenya's grandaughter was in my group and at the end of the trip the kids were humbled and deeply moved by what they experienced. They got the big picture- that it isn't about what you have or how much you have, but it is about pouring into the lives of others,serving them, no matter what the cost or inconvenience it might bring you.



I pray I forever keep that on the forefront of my heart and mind- that I am here to serve and love others in the way that Christ did and still does.

Lastly, I wanted to write that I have been reunited with my sweet foster baby, Matisse. He grew up so fast while I was away. It took him a little bit to recognize me, but once he did, he wouldn't let go of me. He once again has recaptured my heart and I am forever changed by his love. It saddens me about his family life though. His mother passed away from AIDS the week before I left for Kenya and his father has tried to escape from prison making his sentencing even longer than before. Please pray for Matisse and his situation. His father won't let go of him and it breaks my heart. Pray his father has a change of heart and that he will release parental rights from Matisse so he has a chance at a bright and happy future.
Again, I thank you all for your prayers and support. It strengthens me here to know I am not alone and that I have a wonderful "family". Until the next update...