...behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest. -John 4:35

Monday, August 11, 2008

A first time for everything!

Hello family and friends!

It's been awhile since I have written to many of you regarding my travels over to East Africa. I apologize, but I have been rather busy setting up life here in Nairobi and preparing for a new school year which begins tomorrow.

So this is a first for me....blogging that is. I am not sure how well I will be at it, but I figure it is the best way to write to those who are genuinely interested in what I am doing over here. Plus, it will be good for me - I think.

What am I doing over here some of you may have wondered and have even asked, but all I can say is that God has set this path before me and I am walking down it. I would be lying if I were to say that it has been a piece of cake - it hasn't. It has been one of the most trying and difficult things I have had to do. But, there is grace from our Lord and most of all, there is this amazing peace that I am in the center of God's will - so He is the one who has to work out all the worries I have. I eagerly hand them over to Him.

What worries? Well, I want bore you with all of them but there is this worry of not quiet finding my "fit" here. Ya see, I fit rather fine in good 'ole Nashville. I was comfortable at my church, New Song, and I have to say I had the most amazing friends anyone could ever ask for. I felt safe. Then there is the worry of missing family and not seeing them alot. FAMILY is a word that is so concrete in my life. I have the most wonderful family and I miss them everyday. And the worry of being here at a new school teaching something I really don't feel quiet qualified for (facilitating a literacy lab). But, as my pastor's wise words ring in my ear, " God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called," I hand over those cares to Jesus. And how wonderful my Jesus is.

Jesus has supplied all my needs. He has supplied me with a teaching job at a wonderful Christian school. I also have new friends that love God and are fun and I have been supplied with a beautiful apartment that is taken care of by the school. I have my dear friends here, the Keans, whom I will work along side of with their new church plant - New Song Nairobi. There is so much to be thankful for already.

So I thank Jesus for this new path I am on. And I am reminded of C.S. Lewis writing about Aslan, the Christ-figure in The Chronicles of Narnia - "He isn't safe, but He is good!" How true of our Lord. The "safe" path isn't for me anymore. I'll stay on this one until I am led to another one by the One who knows the way. For Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Light!